Do papa/mummy need to have valid Indian passport during the US citizenship process?

I and my parents will apply for US citizenship in April 2013. On an average it takes about 4-5 months to get US Citizenship if we pass all Citizenship exams.After that we can apply for US passport which is about 1 month worth process. But my parents indian passport expires in september 2013.So the questions are:1)Do parents need to have valid Indian passport during the US citizenship process? 2)What if their passport is expired prior to issuance of US passport? Could this be a problem?3) If it is mandatory to have a valid Indian passport during US citizenship process should we renew parents passport before apply for their citizenships? How about we renew their Indian passports while the US citizenship is under process?4)What is the process to renew Indian Passport in US?

Monmouth Junction, NJ -

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

No, if they are going to stay in the US all the time.

Yolanda Navarrete

Yolanda Navarrete

Immigration Attorney - Morristown, NJ

I agree they will not need their passport renewed unless they plan to travel outside of the US.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Only if they are travelling.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

No, they do not.

Having a valid foreign passport (or having any passport at all) is not at all "mandatory" for the naturalization process. They can always apply for US passports as soon as they naturalize (and of course also renew their Indian passports, if they so wish..)

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.