Do newly, federally controlled synthetic drugs carry mandatory minimum sentences?

Reno, NV |

Excluding cases that result in death, as those charges carry 20 year mandatory minimum.

I'm sorry, you have to be more specific as to which drugs you are talking about. Please re-post with more specific information. Thank you and I wish you the best of luck!

Which synthetic drugs? There are a number of controlled substances that carry a mandatory minimum prison sentence under title 21 of the United States Code.

Synthetic drugs such as mdpv, 4-mec, methylone, etc. if I'm correct, they don't include mandatory minimums.

Yes. The Synthetic Drug Abuse and Prevention Act of 2012 specifically added eight synthetic drugs to the list of scheduled controlled substances, and any analogues of a controlled substance that is not specifically prohibited pursuant to Title 21 of the United States Code is punishable by the penalties for those substances.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
866.380.1782

Can you explain to me how this pertains: SEC. 1144. PROHIBITION ON IMPOSING MANDATORY MINIMUM SENTENCES. Section 401(b)(1)(C) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 841(b)(1)(C)) is amended by adding at the end the following: ‘‘Any mandatory minimum term of imprisonment required to be imposed under this subparagraph shall not apply with respect to any controlled substance added to schedule I by the Synthetic Drug Abuse Prevention Act of 2012.

I'm aware that for an offense resulting in great bodily injury or harm, there is a 20-year mandatory minimum. What about weight amounts? I can't find anything, anywhere.

Federal crime topics