Skip to main content

Do misdemeanors or arrests like DUI/OUI report to other states ? If not, can I leave off the application?

Los Angeles, CA |

Specific example: Would a DUI/OUI conviction or arrest in Michigan show up in Nevada on a background check for employment or on a background check by the respective Board to obtain a license to work as a Licensed Therapist?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. If you were convicted of a criminal offense it will most likely show up.

  2. As we are the United Stetes of America, normally, an arrest in 1 state will show up in all the others. However, in my 20 years as a defense attorney, that has not always been the case. So all I can say is NORMALLY it will show up....but not a guarantee.

  3. If it will show on a search is one question.
    Your being allowed to answer "never convicted of a misdemeanor" is another.
    Another question you want to ask a local attorney (license expert) is will the board disapprove you on account of a DUI.
    Best of luck to you.

    This is not legal advice. If order to give you legal advice i would need to see the Tickets and talk to the court first. Good luck:)

  4. Was it a conviction or an arrest (you question listed both)? If it was an arrest only, you may not have any issues, since most applications only ask if you've ever been convicted of any offenses. If you were convicted, on the other hand, it will probably show up and may cause you problems with the licensing board. If you were actually convicted, you should consider having the case dismissed in Michigan via expungement. The Board may view that more favorably--either way, you would be best served to check with an attorney with a specality in licensing matters in Nevada.

  5. That's a great question. The first thing you should do is go consult with a local lawyer in your area.

    Please feel free to review my AVVO profile and website. I consult and handle criminal cases throughout Florida and family law, and civil cases in North Florida.


    I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

    There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided.

    There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. You may also contact the Florida Bar, (850) 561-5600.

  6. It will likely show up as the exchange of information between states has increased since 9/11 and national background checks are now cheaper than ever to conduct. Better to disclose and explain than to get caught in an omission, especially when dealing with a Board.

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics