Do minors have rights?

Asked about 1 year ago - Lynnwood, WA

My 16.5 year old daughter has in effect run away from home to live with me, now with the courts 30 day agreement. She does not want to have to visit her mom anymore. At school she was told she could seek representation as a minor to seek from the court that right, or restriction from being required/forced to see her mom. All her mom does is put her down and fight, then blame her. What to do?

1. Thomas Creekpaum

1

Answered . Without a more complete description of the facts and a chance to review the documents that have been filed, it is difficult to make a recommendation. However, it sounds like you may want to petition the court for a modification of the parenting plan and ask the court to appoint a guardian ad litem. The GAL will make a recommendation to the court on whether or not your daughters visitation with her mother is in her best interest.

2. Dave Hawkins

Pro

1

Answered . File a Petition to modify the PP -- a child may never choose where she wants to live, so you will need a Guardian ad Litem appointed so that he child can express where wishes to the GAL who then reports to the court.

3. Rose Marie Eberhart

Answered . The school officials may have been talking about emancipation. But she has to be able to show that she can support herself to get emancipated.