Skip to main content

Do Mexican marriage certificates need to be apostolized in order to change my name in the US?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Immigration Marriage

I have been married for nearly 2 years now and am in the process of filing an I-130 petition for my husband. As I have chosen to take his last name while the process is being taken, I would like to know if I should have apostolized marriage certificates or will just an original document suffice? Also, would the documents need to be translated?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The certified copy of the original marriage certificate will suffice. No need for apostle.

Any document not in the English language will need to be translated if want to use for immigration purposes. Just about anyone fluent in both languages can translate the document, but will need to provide a signed and dated certification by translator bearing the translator's name and address. No need for notarization.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


A Mexican government certified document, with English translation will be acceptable.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer