Do Mexican marriage certificates need to be apostolized in order to change my name in the US?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I have been married for nearly 2 years now and am in the process of filing an I-130 petition for my husband. As I have chosen to take his last name while the process is being taken, I would like to know if I should have apostolized marriage certificates or will just an original document suffice? Also, would the documents need to be translated?

Thanks

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . The certified copy of the original marriage certificate will suffice. No need for apostle.

Any document not in the English language will need to be translated if want to use for immigration purposes. Just about anyone fluent in both languages can translate the document, but will need to provide a signed and dated certification by translator bearing the translator's name and address. No need for notarization.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . A Mexican government certified document, with English translation will be acceptable.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.