Do Letters of Administration expire? Can a POA sign as Agent to open a new Estate Bank Account for the principal?

New York, NY |

My Mother (99) is administrator of my deceased Actor/Father's Estate (since 1984). The Estate bank account (consisting of small, periodic residuals) was recently closed (Nov., '12) due to inactivity, and slightly negative balance, due to bank charges (unbeknownst to my sister and me), and that bank will not reopen it because my mom is now in a nursing home. (I have POA for my mom, but the bank won't honor it.) I tried to open an estate account at another bank, where my mom has her personal account, as a depository for the continuing, periodic, small residual checks, but was told that the letters of administration have expired, (and do so every 5 years) and that my mom would have to come in anyway. DO THE LETTERS EXPIRE? & CAN I SIGN FOR MOM AS POA TO OPEN ACCOUNT?

Letters of Administration do expire. There should be an expiration date on it. You can get a new one from the Surrogates Court that issued it but the administrator can not delegate her duties by giving you a power of attorney because she is acting for a third party as administrator. You should hire an attorney to have a new Administrator of the estate appointed (you) due to the incapacity of the current Administrator.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

I agree with Attorney Chertock. What is the reason why your father's estate has been kept open for all this time? There is generally no reason for an estate to stay open for 35 years. Knowing the answer to that question might help suggest your next course of action.

You are not going to be able to sign for your mother regarding her duties as administrator.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates