Do lemon laws apply to riding lawn mowers.

Nashville, TN |
Filed under: Lemon law

In the shop for the 6th time with in 13 months

1. Lemon Law is also known as breach of warranty law. If you have had the consumer good in the shop and given them a reasonable number of repair attempts, it should be covered. If it is not covered under TN lemon law it may well be covered under the federal Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

Find someone qualified to handle your matter here:

http://www.naca.net

2. Most state lemon laws won't cover anything but a motor vehicle and a riding mower isn't that. A few states have a very liberal definition of what is covered though (Ohio is one of them) so you have to look carefully at your state law for the answer. You can find a summary of your state lemon law here: http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/state-lemon-law-summaries.htm. If your state lemon law doesn't cover you, that's okay because there is a federal lemon law that covers virtually all consumer products, called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Under that law if you have a problem with a product covered by a written warranty, then your obligation is to give the warrantor (or the dealer who represents the factory) a reasonable chance to fix what is wrong. Their obligation is to get it fixed. If they don't fix it within a reasonable number of attempts or a reasonable amount of time, then the warranty is breached and you can file a claim to recover your damages. If the cost wasn't much, you may be able to use your local small claims court and not need an attorney. Still, a modest costing legal consultation can tell you a lot about the law and how to use your local small claims court to your advantage and would be well worth it. You can find a local lemon law attorney at www.USLemonLawyers.com or at www.Naca.net (under the find a lawyer tab). But don't waste time because for every legal right you have there is only a limited amount of time to file a claim or your rights are gone (it's called the statute of limitations). If this answer was helpful, please give it a vote up review below. And be sure to indicate which answer you think was best so that all of us can be sure we are doing our best to help folks with good info and answers. Thanks for asking and good luck. Ron Burdge www.USLemonLawyers.com

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. If you need a Consumer Law attorney, click the link above to find a Consumer Law attorney near you.

3. A riding mower is not a motor vehicle that is covered under the lemon law, however, as Mr. Burdge pointed out, most consumer goods like a lawn mower are covered by a manufacturer's warranty, and covered under the Mag. Moss warranty act.

Check to see what the warranty covers, and consult with a consumer advocate attorney in your area.

I am an attorney who is only licensed in the State of Florida. My answer is general legal advice based upon what I perceive your question to be, and should not be relied upon because every person's facts and circumstances are unique, and because specific laws vary from state to state. To completely evaluate a legal issue requires reviewing and evaluating all relevant facts, applicable laws and other information. My answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, and offered for informational purposes only.

Lemon law topics