Do lawyers get paid for posting on Avvo?

Charlotte, NC |

Do lawyers get paid for posting on Avvo? If not, why do they post?

We do not get paid. We hope the askers of the queries or others viewing the Qs&As will hire us based on our demonstration of our knowledge, but if that doesn't happen all the time or even a lot, we like to be thanked for our time and trouble. We HATE it (and I feel confident that I write for all Avvo lawyers) when an asker trashes us personally or trashes our profession.

And by the way, some of us enjoy doing work "pro bono" (free) for people. Plus we get to make contact with our professional colleagues, and learn from each other, and keep up with our specialties.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

In fact, a significant percentage of Avvo Attorneys pay Avvo for various perks and advertising.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

The last sentence of Ms. Koslyn is very true for me. I learn a lot from my colleagues here on Avvo, including but not limited to Ms. Koslyn and Mr. Burdick immediately above.

No, we do not get paid. As the previous poster indicated, it's a potential way for us to get new clients and to demonstrate our knowledge. Many of us also like helping people and AVVO provides a great forum for that.

This information is provided for general purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created with the furnishing of this advice. Attorney licensed in North Carolina only.

If they do, then I haven't received my check! Kidding of course - we do not get paid.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.

I love the honesty of this question. In addition to what other folks have said, I think that Avvo meets a need for people who have legal questions that are (for a lawyer) really easy to answer, but that really don't merit them paying for an hour of a lawyer's time. It's not a bad place to look for information for things like that -- like, what's a PJC? Do I have to go to court if I get a subpoena? I also think that, in the 21st century, it is just plain good business to be part of a website like Avvo. It's the internet equivalent of the town square, so you need to hang out here and meet people.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to form a client/lawyer relationship. You can contact me for a limited telephone consultation or an email consultation at my website, www.sjfarberlaw.com, which is listed below. In addition to operating my own firm, I also work for North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc., a non-profit law firm which exists to protect the rights of prisoners in the custody of the state of North Carolina. If a loved one is in prison in North Carolina, advise the inmate that they may write to North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. NCPLS will review their case at no cost and will litigate at no cost to the inmate if the case meets NCPLS' standards. NCPLS can also provide some assistance to inmates seeking to represent themselves. I am also available for cases that do not deal with inmates incarcerated in North Carolina's jails and prisons.

No.
Lawyers are trained that if possible to give something back to the community.
Some lawyers also obtain clients as a result of posting on Avvo.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

NO, we don't get paid. You are likely thinking of www.lawguru.com which does pay on occasion.

We post because we enjoy it. Some post to attract clients. Others post to showcase their talents in hopes of getting referrals from other lawyers. Some post to try to show off their legal knowledge. Some post as a matter of public service. Some post because they are retired and have time on their hands. Some post to practice their advocacy skills. Others post to try out legal theories in hopes of seeing what other experts think. Each lawyer has his or her own reason for posting.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.