Do lawyers get paid for posting on Avvo?

Asked about 1 year ago - Charlotte, NC

Do lawyers get paid for posting on Avvo? If not, why do they post?

1. Pamela Koslyn

18

Answered . We do not get paid. We hope the askers of the queries or others viewing the Qs&As will hire us based on our demonstration of our knowledge, but if that doesn't happen all the time or even a lot, we like to be thanked for our time and trouble. We HATE it (and I feel confident that I write for all Avvo lawyers) when an asker trashes us personally or trashes our profession.

And by the way, some of us enjoy doing work "pro bono" (free) for people. Plus we get to make contact with our professional colleagues, and learn from each other, and keep up with our specialties.

2. Michael Scott Rothrock

14

Answered . No, we do not get paid. As the previous poster indicated, it's a potential way for us to get new clients and to demonstrate our knowledge. Many of us also like helping people and AVVO provides a great forum for that.

3. Sarah Jessica Farber

13

Answered . I love the honesty of this question. In addition to what other folks have said, I think that Avvo meets a need for people who have legal questions that are (for a lawyer) really easy to answer, but that really don't merit them paying for an hour of a lawyer's time. It's not a bad place to look for information for things like that -- like, what's a PJC? Do I have to go to court if I get a subpoena? I also think that, in the 21st century, it is just plain good business to be part of a website like Avvo. It's the internet equivalent of the town square, so you need to hang out here and meet people.

4. Mark Raafat Malek

11

Answered . If they do, then I haven't received my check! Kidding of course - we do not get paid.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.
  5. Michael Charles Doland

9

Answered . No.
    Lawyers are trained that if possible to give something back to the community.
    Some lawyers also obtain clients as a result of posting on Avvo.

6. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

8

Answered . NO, we don't get paid. You are likely thinking of www.lawguru.com which does pay on occasion.

We post because we enjoy it. Some post to attract clients. Others post to showcase their talents in hopes of getting referrals from other lawyers. Some post to try to show off their legal knowledge. Some post as a matter of public service. Some post because they are retired and have time on their hands. Some post to practice their advocacy skills. Others post to try out legal theories in hopes of seeing what other experts think. Each lawyer has his or her own reason for posting.