Do individual accrued deductibles and out of pocket expenses transfer to cobra policies? The event is due to divorce.

Asked 10 months ago - Warrenton, VA

My insurance company, Care First Blue Cross Blue Shield have stated they cannot figure out how to transfer this information to my new policy. They suggested I appeal...

1. Tami Lane Augen

Pro

Answered . Great question. Not sure an appeal is the answer. Insurance companies must deal with this all the time and it should be covered by federal law that covers cobra. My understanding is that cobra is the same policy, you are just paying for it rather than the employer and you may be paying an additional premium on top of it. Therefore, the current amounts that you have paid should stay with the policy. I would be interested to see what my colleagues have to say in response. Best of luck.