Do immigration officers at the local immigration offices have authority to make an amendment in the petition at the interview?

Asked over 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

In my case converting joint I-751 to a waiver due to divorce. And can they still approve it at the same interview with sufficient evidence of good faith marriage?

1. Karen-Lee Pollak

1

1

Answered . You probably will have to refile but i would disclose it at the interview and provide a copy of hte decree and proof the marriage was in good faith.

2. Dean P Murray

1

1

Answered . I suspect that you would need to re-file the petition on your own. However, you should raise it at the interview if you are called for one. If you have additional questions, you can always contact an immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

1

Answered . It depends on what the amendment is. In your case, a new filing will most likely be required.

4. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

1

Answered . In most cases, an Officer will make corrections to bring the application up to date. He/ she is unlikely to allow you to seek a waiver at the interview. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for guidance on how to proceed.