Do immediate relatives get moved to the front of the line with green cards?

Washington, DC |

I think I have some understanding that immediate family members are a higher priority than non-immediate, but I'm not sure.

Since they are not in a preference category, the answer is essentially yes.

I agree. The answer is yes, and there is no limit

If you "like" this answer, please visit our website

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

Thank you for posting your question.

The Immigration & Nationality Act divides different familial relationships into different family-based preference categories, based on whether the petitioning individual is a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident. Some family members will be subject to priority date backlogs and some will be able to be classified as Immediate Relatives.

For a brief understanding of the different family-based preference categories and immediate relative status, please see my website:

Thank you,
Nisha V. Fontaine, Esq.
Serotte Reich Wilson, LLP

Ph: 716-854-7525

Recommended articles about Immigration