Do I wait about settling in totaled car portion of settlement?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gadsden, AL

My 17 year old was rearended Tuesday. Insurance company is totaling her car. My daughter and her friend were injured and sent to ER. She's ok, just still hurting pretty bad, cervical strain and got her in a cervical collar and is to follow up with neurosurgeon in a week to be rechecked. Her friend has a broken nose and concussion. My question is, if you can help me, the insurance company for the boy who hit her has made a decent offer for her car, but I was going to meet with a lawyer Tuesday just to make sure we are headed the right direction with her being injured. I just want to make sure we get reimbursed for her follow up care. Do I need to wait about signing over the totaled car? Insurance agent said the medical side/payment side was separate of car

1. Frederick J. Moore III

4

Answered . Please contact an attorney asap. Sometimes releases for cars can have language that also releases injury claims. I am licensed in Alabama and would love to help out. I will answer any questions you may have even if you decide to hire another attorney. Please go to my website at www.moorelawfirm-al.com. My cell is listed on my website. Call anytime.

2. Christopher Adam Callaghan

3

Answered . While the property damage portion of your claim and the bodily injury portion are separate, both should be handled by an experienced attorney. I would be happy to talk with you about this tomorrow. I handle accident cases all over the State. I used to have an office in Gadsden, but I moved my office to Gulf Shores. I still handle cases in the Gadsden area. (251) 285-3425.

3. Ed Howard

3

Answered . It's good you're seeing a lawyer soon. Make sure it's somebody who knows what he is doing. Remember even the most credible insurance reps work for their companies, and they are not going to advise you against their company's interests. On the other hand, property damage (the car) claims are usually fairly straightforward; it's the bodily injury part that gets tricky. Move very slowly and deliberately and don't sign anything without running it past a lawyer. Good luck!

4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

4

Answered . Your daughter and her friend are not "ok"; hopefully, they will be. Stop speaking to insurance companies. Get an attorney to advocate for you (the friend should too). Seek out someone local and qualified in personal injury litigation.

5. Cameron Lee Hogan

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that your daughter and her friend both need attorney representation as soon as possible. Do not talk to the insurance adjuster any more. I handle claims like this throughout the state and would be happy to discuss your rights with you and your daughter.

Pro

2

Answered . A personal injury lawyer will handle both the injury and property damage, so contact a personal injury lawyer today.