Do I talk to the police?

Atlanta, GA |

A campus police officer sent me an email requesting I contact him, saying that he 'needs to speak with me concerning a police case.' Not sure what to do, I haven't done anything wrong that I am aware of.

No. You can send him a response asking what it is about. If he will not tell you then you know you need lawyer to contact him.

it is always a wise choice to consult with an attorney before considering whether to speak with the police if you have a reason to believe you may be a target of a law enforcement investigation

The information is provided for general purposes only and should not be relied upon. You are advised to consult with an attorney of your choosing, who can advise you on the particular facts and options in your case. No attorney-client relationship is intended or formed absent you executing a signed fee agreement. P. Darrell Kimbrell is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. Information provided is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice nor does such response create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

No, no, no, and no. Get an attorney.

And watch the video at my blog, below. It will explain in detail why even people who think they have done nothing wrong shouldn't talk to police.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

If you are concerned that you might have done something wrong, or if you think that someone has alleged that you did something wrong, or if you think that the officer might accuse you of doing something wrong, you should not talk to him. I agree that you should make an attempt to find out what he wants to talk to you about before you decide whether to talk to him. If he won't tell you, then you don't talk to him. If he is vague about it, don't talk to him. However, note that (unlike regular citizens) police officers are permitted to lie to an individual that they are investigating. He may tell you its about one thing and then suprise you with accusations when you get to his office. If so, at that point you refuse to talk to him any further and request an attorney.

Anything you say to the police officer may be used against you later in court. I would not admit or deny anything if I were you.