Do i still owe back rent that was included in bankruptcy that was discharged?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Baltimore, MD

I including my rental mangagement company in my backruptcy which was discharged 1/25/13. am still living in my apartment. I contacted the bankruptcy court in they said that they was sent discharge papers but rental office is saying i still have to pay them the back money. I wanted to termintate lease prior to bankruptcy but unable to move so am stay until lease is up in august. I was told by someone that i start by paying feb rent in so forward until the end of lease but any money owed prior to discharged i know longer owe cause they was sent a discharge but my rental office slum lords

1. Michael Avanesian

Pro

3

Answered . Very complex question, and as presented, the facts are not all there. I would go back to your bk attorney and have him give you the answer. Here is the simple breakdown (simple meaning probably not 100% correct).

Any rent you owed them before filing, you don't pay.
    Any rent you owe them after filing, you do pay.

Now, if there were assumptions of the lease or other related activities that occured during the course of your bankruptcy, that is beyond the scope of my simple answers.

2. Patrick Begley

2

Answered . Just keep in mind that the landlord has the right to evict you now that you are post-discharge. Also you are going to be liable for any rent due after filing of the case because you're still using the apartment.