Skip to main content

Do I still need to check my status regarding leaving China again after the case dismissed? my immigration status affected?

New York, NY |

I have been received a 6 month ACD for shoplift and my visa expires in month. I shall leave US on time and will not come.back in the 6 month adjournment period. I am considering to make things right for the next time coming abroad. Let my friend get the certificate of disposition and mail to me. Prepare to apply visa successfully to other foreign countries the next time, after one year at least,away from the ACD.

Attorney Answers 3


After the 6 month period the ACD is dismissed and is a non-issue. If you are otherwise legally allowed to re-enter the ACD will not prevent you from re-entering after the 6 month period.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment



Thanks a lot all the way.


Sorry. I don't understand the question.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


For immigration purposes dismissal under the terms of the ACD is only important if there was no admission of guilt as part of the ACD plea bargain, which is not always the case.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics