Do i still need to annul my marriage back home in the philippines ?

Asked over 4 years ago - Carson, CA

I am married in the philippines. I am currently in California. I am planning to file for a divorce so that i could remarry here.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Steven Alan Fink

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If your divorce is valid here, meaning that the court has jurisdiction over your spouse, then you will not need to get a divorce or annulment in the Phillipines in order to get remarried here.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

  2. Jesus Silva Jr

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . As you may know, the Philippines is one of the few countries in the world that neither permits divorce or recognizes a divorce from another country.

    As a result, the only way to get re-married IN THE PHILIPPINES is to first attain an annulment in the Philippines.

    Nevertheless, you can re-marry in the U.S. IF you first attain a legal divorce in the U.S. For that process, you may need to seek the advice of an experienced family law practitioner.

    Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,107 answers this week

2,994 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,107 answers this week

2,994 attorneys answering