Skip to main content

Do i still have to pay child support if i sign my rights over to the mother

Bradenton, FL |

Mother asked me to sign my rights over in she says i wont have to pay child support i live n fl n thats where she filed paperwork on child support enforcement

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, you still have to pay child support. In fact, there is no such thing as signing your rights over to the mother. The only way DOR won't come after you for child support is if there is someone willing to step into your place (e.g. an adoption). Don't sign anything without an attorney looking over what it is; you may find that you're signing away all your rights without that having any effect on your responsibilities.

This response is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney to fully discuss your issues.


If your parental rights are terminated you do not have to pay child support. You can surrender you parental rights in an appropriate action, but not just because mom asks you to. There has to be either a TPR action initiated by DCF, or a steparent (or in some cases another family member) who wants to adopt the child. So you need to find out a little more about what it is that mom is asking you to do, and you should have a lawyer review any paperwork that she is asking you to sign.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft


Be aware that not all DCF court actions are TPR actions - in fact, most of them are not.


Yes.....and you cannot sign your rights over either, unless you have another adult who is going to step into our shoes and provide for the minor child.

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer