Do i still have to pay child support if i sign my rights over to the mother

Asked 12 months ago - Bradenton, FL

Mother asked me to sign my rights over in she says i wont have to pay child support i live n fl n thats where she filed paperwork on child support enforcement

1. Brenda A Drake

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, you still have to pay child support. In fact, there is no such thing as signing your rights over to the mother. The only way DOR won't come after you for child support is if there is someone willing to step into your place (e.g. an adoption). Don't sign anything without an attorney looking over what it is; you may find that you're signing away all your rights without that having any effect on your responsibilities.

2. William Charles Rosenfelt

4

Answered . Yes.....and you cannot sign your rights over either, unless you have another adult who is going to step into our shoes and provide for the minor child.

3. Heather Morcroft

3

Answered . If your parental rights are terminated you do not have to pay child support. You can surrender you parental rights in an appropriate action, but not just because mom asks you to. There has to be either a TPR action initiated by DCF, or a steparent (or in some cases another family member) who wants to adopt the child. So you need to find out a little more about what it is that mom is asking you to do, and you should have a lawyer review any paperwork that she is asking you to sign.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******