Do I still have to pay child support if I can get my son on SSI disability?

Asked about 3 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a 12yr. old son with autism. His dad put the both of them on county aid. As a result from that, I am now ordered to pay child support. If I can get my boy on SSI disability for children, would I still be required to pay child support? Am I also going to have to pay back his SSI? I only work about 12 hrs. a week. the rest of the time I am with him

1. Barbara Kay Hammers

Pro

Answered . If the disability payments are being received from the Federal Government (social security disability, VA benefits, etc.) because of the non-custodial parent's disability, they are deducted from the non-custodial parent's support obligation. However, it appears that your child and his father are receiving support from the State. In that case, the State requires you to pay support in order to reimburse the State for the benefits.