Do I still have time to take my former attorney to state bar since dec 2010? for a fee dispute?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I paid this attorney 3,000, sold my only car to pay him since he said he would help me sue my former employer and he didn't contact me for any reason regarding my case from aug to dec 2010. then he tells me he couldn't help me and asks for 5,000 more. I asked him for an intemization and he said now since I didn't pay him hourly. I still want to take him to the state bar. can ? I've been so busy with the litigation from this case, I haven't had time to take him but I'm not sure if I could. I'd already spoken to the state bar through mail and they said the money I paid raises a question of a fee dispute. can I do this?

1. Adrienne Patricia Allen

Answered . Yes you can. If it's based on a written contract, you have 4 years to bring th claim. The state bar is fee dispute proram is the easiest way for you to do this. Good luck.

2. Douglas Whitney Weitzman

Answered . I agree that you can take this attorney to fee arbitration, but you could also sue this attorney in small claims court. Sometimes that is faster and easier. If you have a dispute with the attorney and he knows it, he should provide you with a form, "Client's Right to Arbitration". That usually comes when the client owes the attorney money, but since it is the other way around according to your letter, you may go to small claims court. The limit is $7,500 to sue individuals and $5000 for corporations and other similar entities. Good luck.

No photo
    Posted over 1 year ago.

Thank you Mr.weitzman, and thank you for your call and helpful intentions. I think I am going to take this to small claims. it may be easier and less costly for me since I do not have financial means to hire an attorney for fee arbitration for this, I believe I have all I need to take him to small claims. thank you.

Douglas Whitney Weitzman
    Douglas Whitney Weitzman, Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA
    Posted over 1 year ago.

Call me if you would like assistance to prepare your small claims case and put it together to increase your chances to win. Please write to me at the email address I gave you.

No photo
    Posted over 1 year ago.

I most certainly will let you know what I decide. thank you very much sir.

Adrienne Patricia Allen
    Adrienne Patricia Allen, Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Grass Valley, CA
    Posted over 1 year ago.

Just know that the small claims limit in CA Is $10,000. Good luck to you!

Douglas Whitney Weitzman
    Posted over 1 year ago.

I knew it was going up. Wasn't sure the effective date. Thank you.

No photo
    Posted over 1 year ago.

thank you to you both Ms. Allen and Mr. Weitzman.