Skip to main content

Do I still have time to take my former attorney to state bar since dec 2010? for a fee dispute?

Los Angeles, CA |

I paid this attorney 3,000, sold my only car to pay him since he said he would help me sue my former employer and he didn't contact me for any reason regarding my case from aug to dec 2010. then he tells me he couldn't help me and asks for 5,000 more. I asked him for an intemization and he said now since I didn't pay him hourly. I still want to take him to the state bar. can ? I've been so busy with the litigation from this case, I haven't had time to take him but I'm not sure if I could. I'd already spoken to the state bar through mail and they said the money I paid raises a question of a fee dispute. can I do this?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Yes you can. If it's based on a written contract, you have 4 years to bring th claim. The state bar is fee dispute proram is the easiest way for you to do this. Good luck.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

  2. I agree that you can take this attorney to fee arbitration, but you could also sue this attorney in small claims court. Sometimes that is faster and easier. If you have a dispute with the attorney and he knows it, he should provide you with a form, "Client's Right to Arbitration". That usually comes when the client owes the attorney money, but since it is the other way around according to your letter, you may go to small claims court. The limit is $7,500 to sue individuals and $5000 for corporations and other similar entities. Good luck.

    This is general legal advice intended for informational purposes only and does not create and attorney/client relationship. If you wish further advice, please contact an attorney of your own choosing or you may contact me for further advice and make other arrangements including retaining my services.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics