Skip to main content

Do I serve the defendant or defendants lawyer with Interrogatories ?

Woodbridge, VA |

I am representing myself in custody visitation child support court case. I want to give defendant a set of interrogatories to answer but I don't know if I am to send the interrogatories straight to the defendant or to his lawyer or to both. Since I'm representing myself I want to make sure l do it the right way. I called the clerks office to ask if I file a copy of the interrogatories with them and they told me they can't give me legal advice. So I'm hoping someone can help me because. My court date is coming up and I want the defendant to answer the interrogatories on time. Thanks so much

Attorney Answers 2


I am not licensed in VA, but in other jurisdictions you may send the interrogatories straight to the attorneys office. If you send it certified return receipt requested, you will get proof back when the attorney receives it that way you down the line you are forced to compel answers to interroatories you will have proof as to when they were received. Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: The information here is general and not intended to be construed as legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice contact a qualified attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


You need to send the Interrogatories to the Defendant's attorney. You can send them via fax, mail or hand delivery. You then need to file a notice in the clerk's office that you issued the discovery. The defendant must answer within 21 days. He gets 1 additional day if you serve via fax and 3 additional days if you serve via mail.

This answer is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. To receive advice tailored to your unique circumstances, you should meet with an experienced attorney.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics