Do I report the R&B I receive from my son's rep payee account as taxable income to myself? I have been told both yes and no.

Asked 7 months ago - Huntington, WV

My child is 24 years told and receives full benefits, I am told he is considered "independent" for tax purposes. I also don't know how to save the income he receives as I am told he cannot keep over $2,000 in any given month, and I have saved some money for him.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Seth S. Gaskins


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I'm guessing that since nobody has answered this question that the attorneys are either confused by your question or unsure about the law in this area. My recommendation is that you consult a tax professional. That could be a tax attorney, but more than likely, it is easier just to contact your neighborhood tax adviser. It's difficult to know what the IRS qualifies as gross income without studying this area full time. Good luck.

    My answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not constitute legal advice or establish any attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,802 answers this week

2,983 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,802 answers this week

2,983 attorneys answering