Do I really need a lawyer to draw up partnership agreements and form an LLC?

Asked about 2 years ago - Astoria, NY

What is a range for fees for services like this? Is it really worth the difference in cost as opposed to going through Blumberg Excelsior, or similar?

The situation is 2 people interested in partnering to open a cafe.

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

4

4

Answered . Forms are forms, it is the advice that comes with the forms that you are paying for when you choose a lawyer. Good luck!

2. Michael L Detzky

Pro

4

Answered . If you want it done right you do. Forms are fine if you know what you're doing but in the hands of someone who is unfamiliar with the law, they can lead to problems. Typical fees to have it done right range anywhere from $750 to $1,500

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . I don't kow the fees because this is not my area but you certainly want a lawyer who deals in restaurant partnerships to do it because there are so many things that should go into an agreement that you won't think to put in and if the relationship goes sour you will wish they were in the agreement. A pre-printed form can't cover everything.

4. Robert V Cornish Jr.

3

Answered . It certainly is, as you and your business partner have to figure out who gets what (units, distributions, etc), who controls corporate affairs and how corporate actions are handled in general. The drill of having an attorney draft an operating agreement is to flush out the potential issues before they arise, and the issues always arise.

Happy to assist.

5. Michael Martin Zaitz

3

Answered . You really do get what you pay for. I suggest retaining an attorney.

6. Jeffrey Mead Kurzon

2

Answered . Would you want lawyers cooking in your cafe? You hire a lawyer to avoid disputes down the road. Pay less now to avoid a dispute or more later to settle one. Range of fees would be anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000 depending on the quality of the attorney. Government fees around $250 and then to publish the LLC in Queens is around $700.

7. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

Answered . Need? No.

Best Option? Yes.

Not a good idea to start your business by cutting corners with the foundational documents. FYI, cafes are notoriously difficult to make a success, hopefully you will not be in that situation, but if it were to happen, you definitely do not want your partnership agreement to be an on-line generic version.