Do I qualify for the DREAM Act if I came to U.S. at the age of 16?

Asked over 2 years ago - Bloomfield, NJ

I came when I was 16, and turned 17 here. Do I still qualify for the DREAM Act ?

1. Javier G Pineda

5

Answered . As written, you would not qualify. It is not the DREAM Act, it is only a change in policy. You can read about it at http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/20120612-napo.... According to the announcement the policy is effective immediately, however USCIS will not start accepting applications until August. See a lawyer before you do anything to understand what is at stake. You need to discuss the risks, given that everything may change in November.

Maybe you have other options.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Answered . Unfortunately, under the current policy, it is not a law, you do not qualify. Nonetheless, if you are detained by immigration officials you could still apply, and have a good chance to receive, deferred action.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

1

Answered . You do not qualify under the current policy. The Department of Homeland Security has posted guidelines that are available on the Internet. A link is available on my website in the news section. You may have other options - call an immigration attorney to schedule a consultation.

4. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Unfortunately, no.