Do I qualify for In State Tuition rates in the state of Virginia?

Virginia Beach, VA |
Filed under: Education law

I have lived in Virginia for 2 years as of July and have utilities in my name for my apartment. I filed taxes in VA, am registered to vote in VA and I own a car registered in VA. I have had a VA license for all but 4 months of those 2 years, am currently employed in VA and am closing on a house in VA by July. I am engaged to a police officer here in VA, have been financially supporting myself for the last 4 yrs and haven't lived with family (NY) since Aug. of '09. I was denied last year based on the fact that I "hadn't lived the full one year in state" even though I had. I'm pretty sure they didn't review all my documentation and didn't care. I was financially unable to attend classes because of this. If I do qualify but am denied, do I need a lawyer to appeal/take the school to court?

I am in the process of applying for this year and hoping to be given the in state tuition rate, however I want to have a better understanding of what I should do if I am wrongly denied for a second time. i.e. Do I need a lawyer for the appeal process? Do I need to take the school to court if it is clear that I have been wrongfully denied in state tuition? Is this a step that would be considered unnecessary?

1. Why not apply and provide apporpriate documentation and then if you have to meet with the University's registrar's office before you consider engaging an attorney.

Check out the requirements from the Virginia Code at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+23-7.4

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Education law topics