Do I qualify for I-601 Waiver?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

My grandmother overstayed her tourist visa for 2 years. She has came back to her home country (Poland) about 5 years ago and has gotten a 10 year bar on her visa. She is now living in Poland. I am trying to explore her options on how she can legally come back to the United States. Does she qualify for the I-601 Waiver? What are her other options? How long will the process take? Thank you in advance.

Additional information

Her daughter is a US Citizen and has been living here for 12 years.
I also wanted to know what is the denial rate.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeff L. Khurgel


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The denial rate varies greatly depending on the specific circumstances of each case. The U.S. citizen daughter can petition her mother (your grandmother) and later file a waiver in regards to your grandmother's 10-year ban. Extreme hardship to the daughter would need to be proven in the case that her mother cannot immigrate. This is difficult to do, but not impossible. Speak to an attorney with experience in waivers and consular processing.

    Serving Clients in All 50 States -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- Attorney Khurgel is a Former USCIS and... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Repeat question, asked and answered before.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Natalia Polukhtin

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To qualify for the waiver, an applicant must have either spouse or a parent in the U.S. and a family-based petition filed on his or her behalf. It is not clear from your post whether you want to bring your grandma here to visit, or permanently. For non-immigrant visas, there is a different waiver procedure that does not involve I601 application.

    Nothing in this post shall be construed as a legal advice. If you need advice regarding your particular situation,... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,735 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,735 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering