Do i plead guilty or non guilty in court? what do I say?

Asked over 2 years ago - Hutchinson, KS

My boyfriend and I got in an argument and cops were called, he grabbed my things and i grabbed his shirt to get it and scratched him on accident causing a batter charge and he threw some of my belongings and broke one then i hit his mirror not meaning to break it and cracked it. He didn't press charges and wanted nothing bad to come out of it but they just arrested us both. and my charges are battery and criminal damage of property

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to plead not guilty and request time to hire a lawyer.
    I would recommend that you find a lawyer from this forum in your town and interviewed two or three to assist you with your case.
    If you have no prior record you may be eligible for a diversion program meaning you could get your case dismissed.
    Your record is too important.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should plead Not Guilty, and then request time to hire an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney you may be able to have one appointed to you by the court. These types of cases rely heavily on testimony and or statements from the other party. You definitely need to speak with an attorney to discuss your case, and figure out what your options are.

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Plead "Not Guilty," and engage an attorney as soon as possible. Do not discuss your case with anyone other than your attorney.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Daniel P. Hilf

Driving While License Suspended

Driving While License Suspended or Revoked in Michigan is a misdemeanor offense (according to MCL 257.904(3)(a)) that carries a maximum potential jail sentence of up to 93 days, and/or a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,995 answers this week

3,782 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,995 answers this week

3,782 attorneys answering