Do I pay federal tax on my receipt of payment from my Father's life insurance

Asked over 1 year ago - Greeneville, TN

The policies are not large amounts. And one is an employer funded.

1. Robert J. Hoffman

Pro

3

Answered . Generally, the recipient of life insurance proceeds does not pay federal tax. The IRS covers this on Publication 525, attached below. From Publication 525, life insurance proceeds paid to you because of the death of the insured person are not taxable unless the policy was turned over to you for a price. This is true even if the proceeds were paid under an accident or health insurance policy or an endowment contract. However, interest income received as a result of life insurance proceeds may be taxable.

Check with a licensed tax professional to ensure that you owe no federal or state taxes on the life insurance proceeds.

2. David Craig Lee

1

Answered . Mr. Hoffman is correct (and thorough). Life insurance is not taxable.

3. William Thomas Schemmel

Answered . I agree with Mr. Hoffman. Insurance proceeds are generally received by the beneficiary free of federal income tax. If the amounts are small, and payments are prompt, you probably will not run into a situation where there is taxable interest. You should nonetheless run it by your tax practitioner at the appropriate time. Good luck to you.