Do I owe less because I over payed rent?

Asked about 4 years ago - Fort Collins, CO

I have been paying $850 in rent for the past ten months because of a verbal agreement between me and my property manager. My lease states that my rent is $775 every month. I have come to an agreement with my property manger to pay the remaining rent owed for the last two months and to vacate, but have not talked about the amount. Do I legally owe him less because I have over payed my rent for ten months?

1. Cameron Royal Kelly

Answered . If there is a verbal agreement to pay a higher amount, you don't have a right to setoff the "over payment" because it is actually the correct amount. Unless you have some reason to contest the verbal agreement, it seems to me that you have paid the correct amount.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Minnesota. Responses are based solely on Minnesota law unless stated otherwise.