Do I owe an insurance company after policy expires and I purchase insurance through another company?

Springfield, MO |

We changed auto insurance companies last fall. Our insurance was paid in advance and when it expired, we went to another company. Our old company has turned in into a collections agency because we "failed" to give them proof of insurance with the new company because they said they covered a 30 grace period after the insurance expired and we were to pay for it unless we gave them proof of insurance from another company. I thought that once a policy expired, it was expired especially if there was no contract involved. What are my legal rights and is this even legal?

1. Read your contract to determine if you agreed to give any notice of non-renewal.

My comments are general in nature, are not legal advice as to your specific issue, and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Disregard this solicitation if you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with the legal matter referred to in this solicitation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this solicitation is general and that your own situation may vary. This statement is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri.

2. If your policy required a notice of non-renewal, you may contractually owe the premium for one month but you can fight it, especially if you had no claims during the grace period. The amount of the bill is probably not enough to warrant legal action and the insurance company really didn't provide anything of value by just keeping you on the books for one month. This kind of thing depends on your own decision making and your concern, if you have any, of nonpayment of the small debt affecting your credit rating.

This answer is not intended to be legal advice in a lawyer/client relationship. Misunderstanding of the answer or use of the answer for any illegal purpose is not the responsibility of the writer. The answer to any question in the Avvo website is constrained by the limited content of the question, an incomplete description of the facts underlying the question or a wrongful motivation for the question.