Do I owe an insurance company after policy expires and I purchase insurance through another company?

Asked about 1 year ago - Springfield, MO

We changed auto insurance companies last fall. Our insurance was paid in advance and when it expired, we went to another company. Our old company has turned in into a collections agency because we "failed" to give them proof of insurance with the new company because they said they covered a 30 grace period after the insurance expired and we were to pay for it unless we gave them proof of insurance from another company. I thought that once a policy expired, it was expired especially if there was no contract involved. What are my legal rights and is this even legal?

1. Ronald Jay Eisenberg

1

Answered . Read your contract to determine if you agreed to give any notice of non-renewal.

2. Alan Jay Dion

2

Answered . If your policy required a notice of non-renewal, you may contractually owe the premium for one month but you can fight it, especially if you had no claims during the grace period. The amount of the bill is probably not enough to warrant legal action and the insurance company really didn't provide anything of value by just keeping you on the books for one month. This kind of thing depends on your own decision making and your concern, if you have any, of nonpayment of the small debt affecting your credit rating.