Do I notify DMV of repossessed tag?

Asked over 1 year ago - Deerfield Beach, FL

Car was repossessed by lender and impound wants $125 for my tag

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Elizabeth E de Bagara

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . The transfer of title should be handled by the lien holder, who can also submit for new tags. There should be no reason to pay for the license plate just so you can submit it to the DMV, to cancel the tags as far as I know, since the tags are no longer valid after the lienholder registers the change in ownership.

    I think maybe the lot just adds fees for every possible service whether it is necessary or not. If you want to be sure there is nothing more for you to do, you can call your local DMV to check the status of the transfer. I'll add the link for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,070 answers this week

2,613 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,070 answers this week

2,613 attorneys answering