Do I need to wait for autopsy results before consulting with an attorney about wrongful death/medical negligence case?

Marion, OH |

Would I be wasting my time & free consultation if I don't have the autopsy results yet? My family and I have a possible wrongful death/medical negligence case.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm not licensed in Ohio, and don't practice there, so keep that in mind in reviewing my response.

You should consult an experienced medical malpractice lawyer as soon as you can. An autopsy report is not a reason to delay talking to a lawyer about the circumstances of the case.

While that lawyer will want to know the findings of an autopsy, sometimes those findings are incomplete. The attorney will still have lots of paperwork for the Estate's representative to sign, so the lawyer can have the authority to start gathering information and evidence regarding the events, if that attorney believes it is warranted.

Depending on the nature of the case, the attorney may want to arrange for a private pathologist to review the autopsy findings, any slides that are generated in the autopsy, and/or conduct a private autopsy. This would have to be done before the remains are to be cremated (if that's a consideration), and generally before any burial.

I'm sorry you suffered such loss, and hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area.

No need to wait, call a med mal lawyer now.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

The sooner you call a qualified Ohio lawyer - the better off you will be. Please feel free to call if you want us to look into the matter or have any questions.

Although an autopsy can be very important, you will not be wasting your time to contact a lawyer now. I practice in Ohio, so feel free to call for an appointment. There is no fee for a consultation. If I am not in when you call, ask for my secretary or legal assistant, and they can make an appointment for you. Or, leave me a message and I will call back.

Please note: A response to a question on AVVO does not constitute an attorney client relationship.

Recommended articles about Personal injury