Do I need to wait for autopsy results before consulting with an attorney about wrongful death/medical negligence case?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Marion, OH

Would I be wasting my time & free consultation if I don't have the autopsy results yet? My family and I have a possible wrongful death/medical negligence case.

Pro

7

1

Answered . No need to wait, call a med mal lawyer now.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. David Hughes Harris

Pro

6

1

Answered . I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm not licensed in Ohio, and don't practice there, so keep that in mind in reviewing my response.

You should consult an experienced medical malpractice lawyer as soon as you can. An autopsy report is not a reason to delay talking to a lawyer about the circumstances of the case.

While that lawyer will want to know the findings of an autopsy, sometimes those findings are incomplete. The attorney will still have lots of paperwork for the Estate's representative to sign, so the lawyer can have the authority to start gathering information and evidence regarding the events, if that attorney believes it is warranted.

Depending on the nature of the case, the attorney may want to arrange for a private pathologist to review the autopsy findings, any slides that are generated in the autopsy, and/or conduct a private autopsy. This would have to be done before the remains are to be cremated (if that's a consideration), and generally before any burial.

I'm sorry you suffered such loss, and hope this helps.

3. Jeffrey Allan Leikin

3

1

Answered . The sooner you call a qualified Ohio lawyer - the better off you will be. Please feel free to call if you want us to look into the matter or have any questions.

4. Timothy Lawrence Van Eman

2

1

Answered . Although an autopsy can be very important, you will not be wasting your time to contact a lawyer now. I practice in Ohio, so feel free to call for an appointment. There is no fee for a consultation. If I am not in when you call, ask for my secretary or legal assistant, and they can make an appointment for you. Or, leave me a message and I will call back.
    TIM VAN EMAN , ESQ.
    614-224-8187

Please note: A response to a question on AVVO does not constitute an attorney client relationship.