Do I need to specify who I want as a protector in the trust deed or can I just write in the trust that i want a protector and

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

only after deciding who I want. If I name a person as a protector, and then I want to add more, do I need to amend the trust in order to specify who my protector will be ot can I write a separate private document to the trustee naming who I want to add as a Protector. I know that the Trustee name needs to be specified , but the Protector as well?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should address this question to the attorney drafting your documents.

    If you want a Trust Protector, you will have to specifically identify the person serving as a protector in the trust. Again, I don't unerstand why you are addressing your questions to an audience that knows nothing about your trust or what you want to accomplish. Please talk to your attorney. If you don't have one, hire one.

  2. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not only do you need to name a protector in the trust agreement , but you must specify the protector's scope of duties and authority. Talk with a local trust attorney.

  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As others have indicated, the most important thing to do is to have your trust address the duties and responsibilities of a trust protector. They are not required by the Florida Trust Code, and the Trust Code does not define the role of a trust protector. For that reason, but sure you understand the difference between a trustee and trust protector.

    Do not attempt to do this yourself. Florida law is complex in the requirements for properly establishing a trust, and you should undertake this only with the assistance of an experienced estate planning attorney.

  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Actually, you can make a provision in your trust for the establishment of a trust protector, specify his or her duties and responsibilities, and then identify how the trust protector will be selected. If you are still competent, you can amend your trust to name a specific person later. If not, you can authorize your successor trustee, the beneficiaries, etc., to name one. It is important, however, that the scope and degree of authority is clearly spelled out, and also who may NOT serve in that capacity.

Related Topics

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.


A trust is an estate planning tool in which you allow a third party (called a trustee) to hold your assets on behalf of your beneficiaries. Several types exist.

Sharon Melissa Siegel

What is a Trust?

A trust is a legal document. All trusts must be written on paper. There are many categories of trust. A "testamentary trust" is a trust that is established under a will and only comes... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,731 answers this week

3,715 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,731 answers this week

3,715 attorneys answering