Do I need to show up to court if I am not summoned/ subpoenaed?

Danville, PA |

Two of my friends are going to court because one of them filled assault charges against the other. This happened in Ocean City Maryland. He filled the charges the next day at the court house and I went with. Both parties want me to testify for them. I do not want to go to court since I live in PA and don't want to pick sides. They both told me they were going to summon/ subpoena me if I don't go. I never also got a letter in the mail telling me when the court date is but the plaintiff told me. I believe the court case is in a civil court. Neither of their attorneys contacted me neither did the court. My friend also used my name in the description of the events that happened.

1. If you have not been court ordered to appear then there is no legal obligation to appear. Additionally, since it is out of state, there is a legal process that must be followed for them to obligate you to appear.

2. I agree with attorney keller, i would also suggest posting this in a maryland forum to be safe.

All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. Without the benefit a personal consultation to exploe all of the facts of your legal problem, the information in this posting may be inaccurate and for that reason it should not be relied upon. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.

3. Without a properly served subpoena in hand, you have no obligation or duty to appear.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.