Do I need to show my I94 to get a SSN if I have a EAD card? (AOS pending)

Asked 12 months ago - Springfield, MO

I just had my AOS interview yesterday. It went well but I was told to wait to get a formal answer.
I got my EAD card a few days before the interview but did not have time to go get a SSN then so I went today. When applying for the SSN I heard the SSN office worker asking his co-worker about my I94. I immediately explained the worker that my I94 was taken from me by the officer during my AOS interview. He kept telling me it wasn't required to apply the SSN but it kept me worried... was I expected to give a I94 number? The application did not ask for one either. Would the worker have let me apply for the SSN even if he didn't have all the required documents?

1. Daniel Warren Thomann

1

1

Answered . Each SSA office deals with different types of noncitizens, and some may prove their eligibility with their I-94 (for example, temporary visitors, temporary workers who entered with an employment visa), but others may prove their eligibility with an EAD, or some other document. You are not required to have your I-94, the worker who asked about it may have just been reacting to his own past experiences with people who used I-94s to prove eligibility. Good luck!