Skip to main content

Do I need to send a photo to the USCIS with my Asylum Application? The instructions do not require that.

Schaumburg, IL |

Do I need to send a photo to the USCIS with my Asylum Application? The instructions do not require that but this is a defensive removal Asylum application. I have a pro bono assistant and she did not ask for my passport style photo but the general instructions say that I need to send a photo. I just do not want my application to come back to me. The instructions for Defensive Asylum application ask only for 3 pages of my application. What happens to the rest of the pages. I don't understand that. Please help me get this.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You can only file the application with the immigration judge at a master hearing. You do need a passport type photo.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  2. Read the instructions again.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. You need a photo (and an experienced immigration attorney).

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. If you are in court and filing with USCIS in order to get scheduled for fingerprints, no photo is required. However the forms you file with the court and Chief Counsel may need photos.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics