Do I need to seek out a family lawyer if I want to write a living will?

Oakland, CA |
Filed under: Family law

Can any lawyer write a living will? Or do I need to seek out a family lawyer to write a living will for my family?

.

1. Most likely, you need a living trust. You should really look for an estate planning lawyer. Not every lawyer can do a competent job of preparing a will or advising you regarding estate planning issues.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

2. you need a lawyer who handles wills and trusts especially if you have children. Further, you may want a trust to avoid probate.

I recommend Steve Kremer (415) 292-7230 of San Francisco.

3. In a ordinary course of their practice many family lawyers on some occasions have probably prepared Living Trusts and Wills. Nevertheless, the more prudent action would be to employ the services of a practictioner who performs services in this particular area. There are many possible approaches to be considered and many changes are possible based upon if you are married, not married, how many children you have, if they are minors or adults and related tax complications as related to estate planning to minimize or eliminate future taxes.

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.