Do I need to see an immigration lawyer?

Sicklerville, NJ |

My dad filed a I130 petition for my brother year 2004. My dad was still a green card holder back then. However, my dad became a citizen few months ago this year (2012) . Was wondering if we need to see a lawyer about this or just wait for the process? What can we do?

You have posted your inquiry in a Family Law Forum (where issues such as divorce are generally addressed). You should re-post your inquiry in an Immigration Law Forum.

Regardless, if you have serious questions concerning immigration you will be best served by scheduling a consultation with an experienced immigration law attorney as soon as possible.

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.

Yes, you should schedule a consultation. In your situation, and depending which country your brother is from, it may or may not be advisable to remain in the same preference category. So for these reasons, you are much better of speaking with the experienced immigration attorney who could advise you properly.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

Yes. Facts such as his age, immigration history, criminal history, country of origin and othe issues must be reviewed to determine if be is eligible for a visa what steps need to be taken to obtain the visa.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics