Do I need to say YES or NO when asked if I have ever been arrested on LE application?

Jersey City, NJ |

I want to apply for a Law Enforcement agency. I was pulled over in NJ and then "arrested" for suspicion of DUI. Was taken back to the station house took the "breathalyzer", passed, then the officer said he is just giving me a careless driving ticket. Is this considered an arrest and should I disclose this when asked on the application?

You were arrested if you were taken to the station. Careless driving or reckless driving?

You should answer that you were arrested on suspicion of DUI and that the ticket issued was for careless driving. That is, tell the truth.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin http://addbalance.com Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police: http://addbalance.com/police.htm

It was careless driving not reckless driving

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

That is good. Reckless will bar you from Canada.

If you are applying for a law enforcement agency, you should certainly mention that you were arrested on suspicion of DUI but tested negative and were given a ticket for careless driving.

They will do a very thorough background check and I am certain your arrest will come up. So if you don't mention it, it will look bad.

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only, not legal advice.

The application requires full disclosure I believe. You were "arrested" but your abstact will only show the final charge (not even the careless if the dispostion was less). If the question is if you were ever arrested you need to say yes. If it is "arrested for a serious charge or crime" you can say no but you have that overriding disclosure requirement.

They want to know the charges and disposition that I was given, but I was never cited for the DUI. Are the charges careless driving? Sorry for my ignorance in the law.

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

Again this will not likely show. You were detained (arrested) and never charged. I would like to say don't mention it but there is that full disclosure element. I can't say what is best. It may not make a difference, then again it could. i wish i could say one way or the other.

An arrest not resulting in conviction will not keep you from a law enforcement job. The appearance that you are lying or hiding something will. It is a good idea to run background checks on yourself through the State Police and the MVC to determine what exactly is on your background before completing applications.