Skip to main content

Do i need to report income from a source that is not 1099?

Pasadena, CA |

Last year I had a solo law practice (not tax law) where I earned a modest 27k-28k total. However I only received 1099s totaling about $7,000. Do I need to report all the other money I received from clients in my 2011 tax returns? I assume the answer is yes.

Attorney Answers 8

  1. You're right, you're obligated to report all income.

    Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

  2. An odd question from an attorney.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

  3. Your assumption is correct.

  4. Read the following before you decide not to report:

    In every audit standard procedure is to examine all deposits to your business accoutns. If deposits total more than what was reported you could wind up doing time... No joke.

  5. Yes, you do - if you want to stay out of jail, and keep your law license...

    These answers are provided for educational purposes only, and should not be construed to be either formal legal advice or the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. For specific legal advice that applies to your individual situation, you must be a client of this law firm.

  6. I think you get the idea, but because you're a lawyer I'll give you a cite: IRC sec. 61(a)(1) provides, "Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, gross income means all income from whatever source derived, including...[c]ompensation for services...." Your income from a law practice is, of course, compensation for services.

  7. Yes. Schedule C.


  8. Of course the answer is yes. You earned the money irrespective of whether a 1099 was issued. Not to do so would be called 'moral turpitude' at a minimum.

    If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up or vote it best answer! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville, California 94526-0008 Legal disclaimer: I do not practice law in any state but California. As such, any responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to a general understanding of law in California and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information.

Business topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics