Do I need to report a fist-time DUI to the State Bar of California? Attorney Ethic / Professional Responsibility Question.

San Francisco, CA |

I am newly admitted member of the State Bar of California. I was recently arrested for DUI and I would probably be convicted of the DUI. It was my first DUI arrest; if I am convicted of the DUI charge, would I be required to report the DUI conviction to the State Bar Office of the Chief Trial Counsel?

I would voluntarily report the conviction. The Ethics Hotline (800-238-4427) should be consulted if you have any doubts that reporting is necessary. More information is available here: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/MemberServices ReportingRequirements.aspx

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

Oops. That link didn't take. Here it is: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/MemberServices/ReportingRequirements.aspx

Yes they will find out about the arrest and they will look at you more favorably if you self report.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at www.theocduiguy.com.

Most attorneys don't self-report as required, and many don't even know (or remember) the self-reporting requirement,but it's there:
"Attorneys are required to self-report felony indictments, felony or misdemeanor charges or convictions, guilty verdicts, guilty pleas and no contest pleas.
Business & Professions Code Section 6068(o)"

Note that you are required to report any charges filed, not just a conviction, but not arrests.

It's very harsh.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

The form the State Bar uses for reporting does not include "charges" -- only convictions -- and is in keeping with B&P Code section 6068(o)(5). It reads: “A verdict of guilty against me or my plea of guilty or no contest to misdemeanor charge(s)committed in the course of the practice of law, or in a manner in which a client of the attorney was the victim, or a necessary element of which, as determined by the statutory or common law definition of the misdemeanor, involves improper conduct of an attorney, including dishonesty or other moral turpitude, or an attempt or a conspiracy or solicitation of another to commit a misdemeanor of that type.” The quoted heading " Attorneys are required to self-report felony indictments, felony or misdemeanor charges or convictions, guilty verdicts, guilty pleas and no contest pleas" conflicts with the language of the statute. Any explanation?

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

There is indeed an analytic gap and a lack of clear and consistent direction on this issue, one that is, in my view, compounded by language in B & P §6068(o) that the statute “only” provides that the State Bar may discipline attorneys for failure to self-report. So the statute does not itself define self- reportable events and defers to the State Bar to specify the events that trigger the obligation. The California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice alluded to the murky state of the self-reporting obligation in its 2007 Report (Report and Recommendations on Reporting Misconduct), and called for clarification from the State Bar and significantly more MCLE ethics training of attorneys on the self-reporting obligation, a recommendation that went largely ignored. The State Bar is aware of lack of clarity in the scope of the self-reporting obligation and, apparently, chooses to leave the issue unresolved. That fact alone, as a practical matter, usually causes administrative law practitioners and professional licensing counsel to formally advise clients to comply with the broadest definition of the obligation, in the expectation that an unnecessary self-report does not prejudice or damage the member and does not cause the administrative risks and difficulties that can be reaped by a dispute with the State Bar over an unreported event. Practically speaking, there are few matters that raise these issues and the State Bar has not in recent years aggressively pursued issues of failures to self-report.

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

Thanks, Christine. You answered all my unasked questions and a few I did not have. I knew you could and would. You've added, at least momentarily, to my knowledge base.

Since this is a misdemeanor charge, you are required to report the charge.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

DUI topics