Do I need to report a fist-time DUI to the State Bar of California? Attorney Ethic / Professional Responsibility Question.

I am newly admitted member of the State Bar of California. I was recently arrested for DUI and I would probably be convicted of the DUI. It was my first DUI arrest; if I am convicted of the DUI charge, would I be required to report the DUI conviction to the State Bar Office of the Chief Trial Counsel?

San Francisco, CA -

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

Most attorneys don't self-report as required, and many don't even know (or remember) the self-reporting requirement,but it's there:
"Attorneys are required to self-report felony indictments, felony or misdemeanor charges or convictions, guilty verdicts, guilty pleas and no contest pleas.
Business & Professions Code Section 6068(o)"

Note that you are required to report any charges filed, not just a conviction, but not arrests.

It's very harsh.

Robert Laurens Driessen

Robert Laurens Driessen

DUI / DWI Attorney - Irvine, CA

Yes they will find out about the arrest and they will look at you more favorably if you self report.
Robert Driessen

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

Litigation Lawyer - Sherman Oaks, CA

I would voluntarily report the conviction. The Ethics Hotline (800-238-4427) should be consulted if you have any doubts that reporting is necessary. More information is available here: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/MemberServices ReportingRequirements.aspx

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Madison, WI

Since this is a misdemeanor charge, you are required to report the charge.