Do I need to report a fist-time DUI to the State Bar of California? Attorney Ethic / Professional Responsibility Question.

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I am newly admitted member of the State Bar of California. I was recently arrested for DUI and I would probably be convicted of the DUI. It was my first DUI arrest; if I am convicted of the DUI charge, would I be required to report the DUI conviction to the State Bar Office of the Chief Trial Counsel?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

5

Answered . Most attorneys don't self-report as required, and many don't even know (or remember) the self-reporting requirement,but it's there:
    "Attorneys are required to self-report felony indictments, felony or misdemeanor charges or convictions, guilty verdicts, guilty pleas and no contest pleas.
    Business & Professions Code Section 6068(o)"

Note that you are required to report any charges filed, not just a conviction, but not arrests.

It's very harsh.

2. Robert Laurens Driessen

4

Answered . Yes they will find out about the arrest and they will look at you more favorably if you self report.
    Robert Driessen

3. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

3

Answered . I would voluntarily report the conviction. The Ethics Hotline (800-238-4427) should be consulted if you have any doubts that reporting is necessary. More information is available here: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/MemberServices ReportingRequirements.aspx

4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Pro

Answered . Since this is a misdemeanor charge, you are required to report the charge.