Do i need to report a cash inheritance as income on my income tax return??

Asked 8 months ago - Cornelius, OR

the amount is roughly $10000...i received as settlement of my mothers estate

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Adam Famulary

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, you do not. Inheritance is not income.

    This is not legal advice. This is to be used for educational purposes only.
  2. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not likely, UNLESS it is a"death benefit" as defined by the IRS. You should tell your tax preparer about the money.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or... more
  3. Joanne Reisman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Generally speaking an inheitance is not taxable as income. Income tax applies to active earnings from working and getting paid wages or passive income generally from investments like interest paid on a bank account or bonds, dividends paid on stock or capital gains paid on the profit you get when you sell an appreciated asset.

    So to determine if an item recieved in an inheiritance might involve a tax debt you must first look at whether it would have involved taxes being owed by the previous owner. For example if the money was in a retiremement account like an ira or 401k, it would be a form of tax deffered wages that the decedant would have had to have reported and paid taxes on. You would then also need to report the money and pay the deferred taxes when you liquidate the retirement account but there may be special elections you can make as an heir that will allow you to spread out the withdrawals over several years and that will reduce the taxes you pay.

    Sometimes inheirited property can create a tax debt when it is held for a while by the heir and later sold for more then it was worth when it was inheirited. This could happen with real estate, valuable art and antiques or investments. But this wouldn't normally be an issue with cash.

    So in order to answer your question we would need to know whst kind of fund your money was in before you inheirited it. You can also ask a tax professional.

    The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,551 answers this week

3,293 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,551 answers this week

3,293 attorneys answering