Skip to main content

Do I need to renew my Green Card if I am a U.S. Citizen through my father becoming a naturalized U.S. Citizen?

Milwaukee, WI |

My father became a U.S. Citizen in 2002 and I was under age 18.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Not if you are a US citizen.

The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.


No. Absolutely not. Useless waste of money and effort. Immediately file Form N-600 (carefully read the instructions!) and apply for your Certificate of Citizenship. At same time also go to the passport office and apply for a US passport. As proof take your parent's naturalization certificate, as well as your birth certificate and translation. If any other documents will be needed, the passport office will let you know.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Not only should you NOT renew the greencard ... it is illegal for you to do so ... assuming you're a US citizen.

Do you have a Certificate of Citizenship.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.



No I do not, but I was able to renew the Green Card after my father became a naturalized citizen while I was under age 18.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III


File an N-600 .... after talking to an immigration attorney.


No you don't need to do this anymore (and shouldn't be doing it) - you are now free of this obligation! One of the benefits of U.S. citizenship. Congratulations!

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Gunda Johanna Brost

Gunda Johanna Brost


I agree with attorneys Behar and Capriotti that you should get proof of citizenship in the form of a certificate and/or a U.S. passport. Contact an immigration attorney if you don't know how to do this.


Assuming you qualify for the Child Citizenship Act, you should get a US passport and you should not renew your green card.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer