Do I need to renew my Green Card if I am a U.S. Citizen through my father becoming a naturalized U.S. Citizen?

Asked 12 months ago - Milwaukee, WI

My father became a U.S. Citizen in 2002 and I was under age 18.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . No. Absolutely not. Useless waste of money and effort. Immediately file Form N-600 (carefully read the instructions!) and apply for your Certificate of Citizenship. At same time also go to the passport office and apply for a US passport. As proof take your parent's naturalization certificate, as well as your birth certificate and translation. If any other documents will be needed, the passport office will let you know.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . Not only should you NOT renew the greencard ... it is illegal for you to do so ... assuming you're a US citizen.

Do you have a Certificate of Citizenship.

3. Pablo Husayn Nossa

2

Answered . Not if you are a US citizen.

4. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

2

Answered . No you don't need to do this anymore (and shouldn't be doing it) - you are now free of this obligation! One of the benefits of U.S. citizenship. Congratulations!

5. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . Assuming you qualify for the Child Citizenship Act, you should get a US passport and you should not renew your green card.