Do I need to renew a new passport? Am I considered "out of status" just because my passport has expired?

Chicago, IL |

I am international student, currently on my OPT, it expires on July. But my passport has expired. It's been 9 months. I thought as long as I have valid I-20, i did not need a new passport. I am planning to continue my studies after OPT.

1. No, an expired passport does not cause your status to expire, but in order to travel internationally you should arrange ASAP to get your passport renewed at the nearest embassy if you are not currently in your country. Best wishes.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

2. No, your expired passport does not make you "out of status." Contact the nearest consulate of your country to have the passport renewed.

DISCLAIMER: The information appearing here is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal advice to any individual or entity. We urge you to contact us at (818) 639-2692 or info@i-551.com or consult with your own legal advisor before taking any action based on information appearing here.

3. You are not out of status based on an expired passport. Go ahead and get your passport renewed, as it is recommended.

Attorney Jennifer Ahn's answer is to provide general information only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. The content of this answer is not intended to substitute accurate legal advice, which is relevant to all the facts and circumstances of your specific case. This answer does not create an Attorney-Client relationship. (847) 297-9200

4. No, you're fine to renew your passport and not out of status.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.