Do I need to register my dba if my W9 has my "first name last name LLC" and the dba secondary?

Asked 9 months ago - Suwanee, GA

For example..
John Doe LLC
DBA Joe Blow's to Go
000 main st
nowhere ga. 00000
If this appears on the W9 Joe gives to his clients he receives payments from, does he still need to register his DBA name with the county?

1. Charles I. Pollack

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . The "dba" is a trade name, not a trade mark...this often an important, but sometimes confusing, distinction. Under Georgia law, those who use a trade name are required to register it in the county in which the business is located. Based on your example, it appears John Doe LLC is using the trade name, and as such, it should be registered. Registration is done via the Superior Court Clerk and there is a publication requirement (the clerk's office can tell you the specifics, and most can provide the registration form).

The law also provides that using a trade name without registering it is a criminal offense, albeit a misdemeanor; however, I suspect few, if any, have ever been prosecuted for violating this statute.

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

4

1

Answered . Yes. If you use a dba you need to register it under most state laws. See a local business or IP attorney.

3. Daniel Nathan Ballard

3

1

Answered . Yes. Speak with a Georgia-licensed trademark attorney to assist with the process.

4. Micah F McBride

3

1

Answered . Talk to local counsel, but most state laws would still require you to register your dba.