Do I need to redo my revocable family trust if I am getting remarried under HI trust and estate planning laws

Kihei, HI |

I am getting married for a second time and would like to take my husband's name. I have a revocable family trust in my single name that I want to keep seperate and have for my children. Do I need to redo the trust?

1. Note that I am not licensed to practice in your state.

Generally, no.

2. It is not only a question of weather you “have to redo” your estate plan you need to ask yourself if you “want to”. Has anything in your life changed? I bet it has. This should be reflected in your estate plan. Even if nothing in your life has changed don’t you think you should have someone with specific knowledge tell you what is in the plan and what if any law changes there has been since you did the plan. I don’t know anything about your tax situation but this is an area that is in constant flux and you should know where you stand. In a nutshell, have someone who knows what he is doing at least look at your estate plan (including your designations on health care powers)

Wills and estates topics