Do I need to re-file my answer to an unlawful detainer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Antioch, CA

I wasn't properly served an unlawful detainer and sought advice from attornies here on Avvo as to whether I should file a motion to quash. Was told the end result would be having to file once I was properly reserved so I filed my answer on Thursday. On Friday I found a new copy of the unlawful detainer posted on my door that included an order to Post Summons and Complaint signed by a judge. That stated they were unable to personally serve me...etc. my question is: I have already filed an answer to the one I was improperly served. Do I need to file an answer again?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

2

Answered . The answer to your question is: it depends. Look at the case numbers. If they are the same on both complaints then you do not have to re-file your answer. If they are different you need to file a response in the case for which you have not yet filed.

2. Erin Patricia Farley

1

1

Answered . Yes. As you have now been properly served, the Motion to Quash the prior service is moot.

3. Lara Ruth Shapiro

1

Answered . No, if your answer is on file with the court and you have served it on plaintiff's attorney, you have made your appearance.