Skip to main content

Do I need to present my driver's license and social security card if and/or at time of termination from job?

Bradenton, FL |

I am worrying too much already, I am 95% sure I'm not going to be "fired" from any job, I know this to be true, but I have to ask one question, just essentially because I'm worrying: I was recently asked by my employer for my Drivers License and Social Security card, with in the back of my head the bit of worry that I may possibly be fired because of a weekend I had to unexpectedly take off due to my sister's wedding and my next day planned at work I had to take off because I was sick, no doctor's note because I didn't go to the doctors.
Are these two items needed by an employer at time of termination?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    I am not aware of a link between being terminated and an employer requesting a drivers license and social security card. I do not know any reason you would be required to present a driver's license and a social security card at the time of termination.

  2. While an ID and Social Security Card are frequently required as a new employee, it would be unlikely that you need one in order to be terminated from employment. This issue would most likely governed by the laws specific to your state, so this answer is general.

    This answer does not create an attorney client relationship. Claimants should contact local counsel for assistance with their specific cases.

  3. It sounds like your employer forgot to verify your eligibility to work in the U.S., hwich is required for all employees; this is also known as an i9 form. They'll simply make a copy of these documents and tuck them in the their HR files in case they ever get audited. This has nothing to do with getting "fired" ... unless you lied on your application or presented false documents when hired.

    Licensed in State and Federal courts of Florida, Michigan and Pennsylvania only.

  4. No.....may have mordent do with completion of your employee file for ICE audit....showing proof of citizenship and right to work.

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

Social security topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics