Do I need to pay this fine?

Asked 6 months ago - Clarksville, TN

My charges were dismissed by a judge, I forget exactly how he put it but he told me that I would have to pay a fine despite having the charges dismissed. He gave me a piece of paper with a phone number for the Clerck so I could get my Find total. On the piece of paper it said that the court system is obligated legally to have a price total within two business days. I have called the clerks office now half a dozen times over three weeks and they still don't have a total for me. The fine i owe is from Tennessee I live in Minnesota. I believe the total amount is around $700. What can they do if I don't pay this fine? When I went to court the judge told me specifically that they cannot take me to jail if I do not pay the fine. Any info would be much appreciated.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. David Henry Veile


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds like the judge may have dismissed the case upon payment of court costs. In any event, because of a new law passed by the Tennessee legislature a couple of years ago, your driver license may automatically be suspended if you do not pay fine and court costs within one year from when the judge orders you to pay them. You should contact an attorney that regularly practices in the court where you had your case.

    Any information provided is intended for general informational purposes only. This is NOT legal advice, and no... more
  2. William Jordan Steed III


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the case was "dismissed on costs", then the individual with the dismissed case should indeed pay the costs as soon as possible. As another attorney in this forum noted, Tennessee has passed a law permitting the DMV to suspend the driver's license of any person with unpaid costs after one year. Moreover, most state DMV's have comity, and honor one another's suspensions, so this could impact an out-of-state license. If costs remain unpaid, the State will also turn the account over to a collection agency much earlier than a year, leading to late fees, collection costs, damage to credit, and other bad consequences. Finally, if there was a "fine" (as opposed to costs), then there may have been a conviction or some other part of the disposition that the defendant did not understand. It would be advisable to discuss these matters with the attorney who handled the case, to retain another local attorney to review the file, or at least to get the records from the clerk's office to ensure understanding of what occurred and to pay everything. Finally, if the case was dismissed, the person should definitely file for expungement (or have an attorney do so) so as to remove the case from public records, but this can only be done after all costs are paid.

    The author provides answers on this site based on hypothetical questions and fact patterns. The answers provided... more
  3. Johnny D. Houston Jr.


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Pay it. In addition to what others have said, you might also receive a "fail to appear" charge as well.

    Plus, just pay it because that's what the judge told you to do!

  4. Jesse Pratt Lords

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The short answer is maybe. You should hire an attorney who practices in the county where you had to appear in court. That attorney would likely be able to help you quickly. There is a chance that they could get the fee waived and your record expunged.

  5. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would contact a criminal defense attorney in TN to review the file and advise you. If you don't pay a court ordered fine, generally the court can issue a warrant for your arrest and notify the DMV to suspend your drivers license until paid. I don't know about this county in TN, but I would not ignore it.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more

Related Topics

Fines for criminal conviction

Courts impose fines as a punishment that also provides restitution to victims and/or the government. Fines may be imposed alone or in addition to prison time.

Vache E Bahadurian

Suspended License Ticket

A common case in the Municipal Courts of New Jersey is a driver being accused of Driving a Motor Vehicle while their Driver's License is Suspended or Revoked. Thousands of individuals are... more

Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,748 answers this week

3,471 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,748 answers this week

3,471 attorneys answering